Friday, August 13, 2021

Culinary delights

Since we planned for a short passage from Gosport harbor we had a slow morning making crepes for breakfast. Peter decided that while adults were busy he can fish and very quickly a mackerel was on his hook. He and Irina fished a bit more and pulled out another mackerel.

Then Peter saw a lobster boat and begged to hail it. The boat went away before we could make a decision getting Peter into a sulky mood which improved once he ate. After breakfast we saw another lobster boat, so I jumped into the dinghy and started to row towards it. Then another boat driven by a cute young lad started heading my way, and the lad agreed to sell us 4 lobsters for $25. Lunch menu decided!

The water was refreshing, but the sun was in full force so overall it was quite warm and we went for a long swim to shore. Peter got cold by the time he got to the shore, so I swam back to get the dinghy and brought him back to Salty Ginger.

The onboard gas range doesn't output a lot of power, so while lobsters were cooking, David, Irina and Peter continued fishing and soon we had 6 mackerels in the fridge. Irina marinated 3 of them and we kept the other 3 for grilling.

To our amazement the teenagers refused to even try lobsters, so we ended up having 4 lobsters for the 5 of us. Only 2 lobsters fit in our largest pot, so while we were eating the first 2, the second 2 lobsters got cooked and we dug into them right away. Very filling and yet not heavy. Perfect for sailing!


I asked the neighbor what he thought about anchoring in Folley Cove and he didn't think it would be a good idea. Instead, his recommendation was to go a bit further and drop the anchor near Rockport in Sandy Bay. We checked out Folley Cove and agreed that it was suboptimal. The western side looked fairly wild, but the eastern side, which we would be looking at from our stern, had a few huge houses.

The aestheics in Sandy Bay was sort of better, but it was sprinkled with lobster traps making it a bit challenging to find an anchorage spot. In the end we dropped the hook in 50 feet of water, and since all other boats opted for being much closer to shore, all the neighbors were far away.

Two course dinner included grilled mackerel followed by lamb ribs. For the teenagers' taste the fish had two many bones (ok, we got them some flesh without bones) and the ribs too much fat. So picky!

A great aspect of spending time on the water in the middle of summer heat is much lower temperature. Yesterday on land the conditions were 32-34C "feels like 37-39C" but on the water it was very comfortable. We're set for another hot day which we plan to spend on and in the water. 

Today we need to get to Boston since my vacation is coming to an end. I haven't thought about work in 4 weeks and mentally feel completely detatched from the daily routine and the hustle of civilization. I know that we will be greeted by lots of air and water traffic as we'll be pulling into Boston harbor, and while I can't say I'm looking forward to it I think I am ready to get back to Zurich.

No comments:

Post a Comment